CSA Staff Notice 55-316 Questions and Answers on Insider Reporting and SEDI
4 Insider Information
4.2 Insider Profile
Section 4.2.8

When Do I Need To Add Registered Holders And In What Circumstances?

Whenever you create an insider profile and file an insider report, SEDI will prompt you to indicate how you (or your insider, if you are an agent, filing for an insider) hold the securities.

You can hold your securities in the following three ways:

(1) You can hold them directly. For example, you can hold the securities in an account with your broker, but the account is in your name.

(2) You can hold them indirectly. For example, you beneficially own common shares in X Co. but the registered owner is another entity such as a holding company, an RRSP, or a family trust.

(3) You can have control or direction over them. You have control or direction over the securities if you, directly or indirectly, through any contract, arrangement, understanding or relationship or otherwise have or share

  • voting power, or
  • investment power.


This would include having control or direction over the securities through a power of attorney, a grant of limited trading authority, or management agreement. For example, you set up a trust for your children in which X Co. securities are held. Because of your relationship with your children, you need to report your children’s holdings, because you could direct your children to purchase or sell those securities. This may also be the case if your spouse owns the securities, but you have control or direction over those securities.

If you choose either ‘Indirect’ or ‘Control or Direction’, SEDI will prompt you to add the name of a registered holder. The registered holder is the entity through which you beneficially own the securities, such as an RRSP, holding company, family trust, or the person or company that owns the securities over which you have control or direction.