(1) Except as provided in sections sections 6.8, 6.8.1 and 6.9, all portfolio assets of an investment fund must be held under the custodianship of one custodian that satisfies the requirements of section 6.2.
(2) Except as provided in subsection 6.5(3) and sections 6.8, 6.8.1 and 6.9, portfolio assets of an investment fund must be held
(a) in Canada by the custodian or a sub-custodian of the investment fund; or
(b) outside Canada by the custodian or a sub-custodian of the investment fund, if appropriate to facilitate portfolio transactions of the investment fund outside Canada.
(3) The custodian or a sub-custodian of an investment fund may appoint one or more sub-custodians to hold portfolio assets of the investment fund, if
(a) in the case of an appointment by the custodian, the investment fund consents in writing to the appointment,
(a.1) in the case of an appointment by a sub-custodian, the investment fund and the custodian of the investment fund consent in writing to the appointment,
(b) the sub-custodian that is to be appointed is an entity described in section 6.2 or 6.3, as applicable,
(c) the arrangements under which a sub-custodian is appointed are such that the investment fund may enforce rights directly, or require the custodian or a sub-custodian to enforce rights on behalf of the investment fund, to the portfolio assets held by the appointed subcustodian, and
(d) the appointment is otherwise in compliance with this Instrument.
(4) The written consent referred to in paragraphs (3)(a) and (a.1) may be in the form of a general consent, contained in the agreement governing the relationship between the investment fund and the custodian, or the custodian and the sub-custodian, to the appointment of entities that are part of an international network of sub-custodians within the organization of the appointed custodian or sub-custodian.
(5) A custodian or sub-custodian must provide to the investment fund a list of all entities that are appointed sub-custodians under a general consent referred to in subsection (4).
(6) Despite any other provisions of this Part, the manager of an investment fund must not act as custodian or sub-custodian of the investment fund.