You need to file your insider profile and opening balance reports within 10 calendar days of becoming a reporting insider if you beneficially own, or have or share direct or indirect control or direction over, securities or related financial instruments of the issuer of which you are a reporting insider.
Note that if you enter into a reportable transaction within 10 calendar days of becoming a reporting insider, this may have the effect of accelerating your requirement to file an insider profile and opening balance report, since you need to take these steps before you can file a report about the reportable transaction. See example below.
If you are a reporting insider or otherwise required by securities legislation to file insider reports in respect of a SEDI issuer, but do not own or control securities or related financial instruments relating to that SEDI issuer, you do not need to file an insider profile until an insider report is required. However, if you wait until you are required to file an insider report, you must file your insider profile at the same time.
Alternatively, you can set up and file your insider profile with a zero opening balance report (for each security, ownership type and registered holder combination) after you or your agent are registered as a SEDI user, but before any of your insider reports are due.
Example: New Reporting Insider
1. On November 1, 2010, I became a director of ABC Inc. and therefore a “reporting insider” for this issuer under NI 55-104.
2. I understand that, in accordance with section 3.2 of NI 55-104, I am required to file my initial report within 10 calendar days of becoming a reporting insider. Accordingly, my initial report would appear to be due on November 10, 2010.
3. On November 3, 2010, I purchased 100 common shares of ABC Inc. in a market transaction.
4. According to section 3.3 of NI 55-104, I am required to file an insider report within five calendar days of any change in my ownership or control of securities or interests in or rights or obligations associated with a related financial instrument. Accordingly, my insider report for this transaction would appear to be due on November 8, 2010.
5. What is my deadline for the initial report? What is my deadline for reporting the purchase of 100 shares?
1. The deadline for filing the initial report would ordinarily be November 10, 2010. However, as a result of the purchase of 100 shares on November 3, 2010, the deadline for filing the initial report has effectively been accelerated to November 8, 2010. This is because, in order to be able to file an insider report about the purchase of 100 shares by the required due date of November 8, 2010, it will first be necessary to file the initial report.
2. The deadline for filing the report about the purchase of 100 shares is, in this example, November 8, 2010.